Friday, October 21, 2011

Inspiration


Inspiration Scarf

Inspiration can come from anywhere.  When you sew, ideas can come from lots of different places.  I thought I would share a project that I did previously to show how sewing can be inspired by anything.

My husband treated me with a beautiful scarf for Christmas.  I loved the scarf, but had nothing to wear it with at the time.  I thought, maybe I can make something, but I had no ideas.  Later,  I was going through a catalogue that came in the mail and I saw a beautiful white wool dress.  I think the catalogue was selling purses, but I focused on the dress.  I tore out the page and saved it.  I bought the wool, but I could not find a pattern that I liked.  I thought I would have to give up. 

But I had a wonderful thing happen.  A friend, who knew I sewed, was cleaning out her mothers house and found tons of old patterns.  Some of these patterns were so old, 1920's I think;  they called a zipper a slide fastener.   I had such a great time going through the patterns. I have so many that I want to make.  The great thing was that  I found a pattern that I thought
would work great for the dress.  I added a lining because it was wool and shortened it a little more than the pattern. Check out the finished dress and I have to say it looks great with the scarf.  In the pattern, it shows a vest.  I made the vest, but some things are best left in a previous decade unless you can update it/ 

Finished Dress


2 comments:

  1. This is the best! I wish I could sew. I tried to do this as a hobby, but I just couldn't get any inspiration. Any ideas that I could use to get inspired to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to your situation. Sometimes, when I recieve an article of clothing or buy something for myself, I do not always know what to pair it with right away, but after flipping through magazines I get a visual idea of how I would like to configurate an outfit.

    ReplyDelete